Monday 13 October 2014

Archive || A Study Tour to Dominica

Hello everyone!

In January 2009, I embarked on a Study Tour to the Caribbean island, Dominica. My classmates and I stayed in the capital, Roseau for two weeks to study the local Architecture and familiarize ourselves with the area. My photography skill was probably no good at this time but I still appreciate the images I took. Looking back at them now brings to mind the amazing time I had in Dominica as a student; and I am certain that I will revisit the island in the future.

View to the sea from the Dominica Museum


A basic school building in Roseau

A cobblestone side street in the capital


Dominica is quite a forested island with significantly less of a built environment than in Jamaica. However, it charmed me with its greenery and slow pace; and after visiting there, it's definitely a place I recommend for anyone who is interested in a relaxed island vibe. While I was there I noticed that the shops closed by 6 pm; and it was even harder to find a restaurant open on a Sunday morning or afternoon. The night life consisted of occasional house parties and small events at distant clubs. This place is definitely not for the party animal but it can still be fun. Dominica is mostly a place where you can take it easy and embrace your green thumb. The most active part of my trip there happened on a "cruise ship day".


On the cobblestone backstreets and all along the main road by the sea, vendors set out their wares for tourists to see. Duty free shops were a buzz, restaurants served the most amazing traditional breakfast food, and you could get drunk before midday if you happened across the right bar. Funny enough, there was one time that I had started off my day with some beers and shots of aphrodisiac rum before strolling through the busy streets. It turned out to be a very fun day. :)

Dominica, a former French and English colony, boasts tell-tale signs of their history even in the way the roads in Roseau are laid out. Not only that, their creole is French-based which was very fascinating to listen to even though they seemed to be more interested in hearing me speak. The locals begged me to "talk street" which I had to explain was really called Patois by us Jamaicans. Jamaican culture is big in Dominica. While I was there I heard Vybz Kartel's music and a variety of other Dancehall artists; and, in the market, vendors sold Bob Marley merchandise. 

Some of the locals

My classmates and I visiting a historical site in Dominica (I'm far right)

Overlooking the capital, Roseau

 Outside the windows of the guest house I stayed in


I managed to get a few leisurely activities done while I was there. I went to a house party and a street dance; I shopped in the market; I ate out at local restaurants; I went to the sulfur springs and to the beach; and I saw a lot of the Architecture. But one of my biggest memories was getting my first tattoos done. It was such a wonderful experience, and the artist's shop was right on a bustling street that was, apparently, the main route for Dominica's annual carnival. Unfortunately, I left just a week before the carnival so I didn't get to experience it.

Displays inside the tattoo parlor where I got my first tattoos

Dominica is such a beautiful place and I would definitely go back. Next time I won't be preoccupied with school and I will be able to fully enjoy my time as a tourist. I want to explore the dense forests and interact with the wildlife there. It definitely taught me how to appreciate the serenity of nature.


Peace, Love & Blaze,
Afayah 

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a great adventure. ..would love to visit there 1 day

    ReplyDelete